Wednesday, September 1, 2010

In Tune With the Music, and in Tune With Life.

Can you remember the last song you listened to today...? 
What was it about, and how did it make you feel?  
       Everybody has a taste in music that is unique to their own personality.  And very similar to the taste buds on our tongue that are sensitive to food, our ears can pick up on the notes that are flying through the air.  "Music, in a very mysterious way, invigorates the body and stirs the soul...   The sweet sensations of sound can heal the broken heart, and lighten the weight of sorrow."  -Elder Harris-

So you're probably thinking that this post is all about music and how it influences us right?  Well...that wasn't quite the point I wanted to make.  I am an avid guitarist and could spend hours on end playing songs and enjoying the beauty of music.  I use a huge amount of my time strumming and experimenting with chord progressions that turn into the songs I love to play, but the most critical moment of making a song happens before I even start to play.  I have to give extra care and attention to the tuning of each of the strings individually before I can even start to play.


Now I want you to think about the way you start your day.  What sorts of things do you do to "tune your strings" before you walk out the door in the morning?  I am ever so amazed at the way our world operates in the way it does.  Everybody works in their own sphere of traits and qualities that compile our great nation.  When we take a moment to pause and "tune our strings", it gives us the chance to evaluate our lives and relationships.  The way I do this each day is by a humbe prayer to my God and Father in Heaven.
Mormon 9:37


"And may the Lord Jesus Christ grant that their prayers may be answered according to their faith; and may God the Father remember the covenant which he hath made with the house of Israel; and may he bless them forever, through faith on the name of Jesus Christ."

5 comments:

Elder Robert Campbell said...

Dude this is a cool post. I've noticed that the days i dont say my prayers in the morning, or study my scriptures, then my strings aren't "tuned" right and the things i do through out the day are'nt in 'rhythem' with how they should be! but when i do start my day off with a simple prayer or when i study my scriptures my whole day seems to go by so much easier! It's the little things that make our days brighter!

Grammy said...

This is an awesome post! Very insightful.

Meagan said...

Needless to say, I think your message is awesome, Elder Harris! I would add that we must be mindful of the song we create that others are subject to listening to if we around them. Everyday we are creative individuals that influence the lives of others for better or worse. I have often thought of our influence on others and what a wonderful world this would be if we tuned our strings AND thought about others while we improvised the song of our day!

yesper said...

I love the way you compared music to our lifes. How we start our day makes all the difference. You're the best!

KC Harris said...

A rough start is all it takes to make a bad day. It has become far more valuable to me to spend some time in the mornings to collect my thoughts and get ready for the day. :) thanks for the comments and insights.